Working time 20 minutes + 15 minutes cooking
- 2 tbsps virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small courgettes (about 125g / 4oz.) trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large potato (about 300g / 10oz.), peeled, cooked in boiling water for 25 to 30 minutes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 125g / 4oz French beans, trimmed, cooked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained, refreshed under cold running water and cut into 2.5cm / 1 inch lengths.
- 2 tomatoes (about 175g / 6oz.), skinned, seeded and chopped
- ½ tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or ½ tsp dried
Heat 1½ tablespoons of the oil in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until it is soft – about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and courgettes cover the pan and cook the vegetables gently for 10 minutes, stirring them occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat.
In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and egg whites, the salt and some black pepper. Add the fried vegetables, the potato, beans, tomatoes and oregano, and stir gently to mix the ingredients.
Heat the remaining oil in a 25cm (10 inch) non-stick frying pan and pour in the egg mixture. Cook the omelette gently over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until the underside is pale golden. Place the frying pan under a preheated medium-hot grill and cook the omelette for a further 2 to 3 minutes, or until it is lightly set. Cut into quarters and serve.
You can use canned potatoes and beans as a substitute.
This recipe is from the UK, as am I …